Saturday, March 24, 2012

Where to put your UDK content

So when you first get started a lot of tutorials tell you to add tot he main Content folder within the ie they tell you to save your first map in C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\Maps

For me this is way too messy and organised, what I didn't appreciate at first, is that you can save anything anywhere as long as you point to the right folder in your code. So with this being the case I can be as anally retentive as my OCD for organised file structure requires.

With Maps being a bit old school, I've opted to follow the UT3 structure

C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\MyCustomGame\Environments
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\MyCustomGame\Characters
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\MyCustomGame\Vehicles
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\MyCustomGame\Weapons
C:\UDK\UDK-2011-09\UDKGame\Content\MyCustomGame\UI

So as you can see it's all under the main folder which for me makes sense if it's the game they are all for 'MyCustomGame'

The beauty of this is that if I want to update to a newer version of UDK or put my files under version control, it's far simpler to have it under one directory than spread out across the many subfolders of UDK.

2 comments:

  1. I know this is an old post but I'm hoping you still respond!

    I've been organizing mine similarly to yours but I get an error, something about externally referenced files that won't be present when I open up the map again. So i exit, go back into it, and sure as hell, all my stuff is gone (except UDK stuff like lights) because it can't find the packages.

    Any advice on this? I want to save mine similarly to yours (I too, am very anal about file structure). Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's the actual error?
    What's missing?

    If it's textures have a look at this
    http://cheesewhisk.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/magically-disappearing-assets-in-udk.html

    I was having a similar issue with textures but that was down to them not being used.

    ReplyDelete